- Launched: 2018
- Available in: USA
- Made in: China
- Number of layers: 3
- Firmness: Medium-firm
- Cover matierials: 100% organic, natural Dunlop latex
- Trial length: 365 nights
- Warranty: Lifetime
- Shipping cost: Free
- Shipping time: 2-5 business days
- Return ease: Company picks up
- Refund: Yes, full refund
- Additional fees: No
- Where to buy: Online
Awara is a youngin in the world of online mattresses compared to the rest of the industry, opening its virtual doors in late 2018. But Awara opened them after looking at the marketplace and understanding that many of us want eco-friendly options whenever we shop, including while looking for new beds. It’s a smart approach considering we spend a third of our lives sleeping.
Awara’s first offering is a latex-and-innerspring coil hybrid that would normally cost and command a heftier price on the market. But we are happy to report the Awara mattress is both an eco-friendly and relatively wallet-friendly product.
The Awara is considered a medium-firm mattress, a 7 on the firmness scale. The firmer the mattress is, the less it will contour to your body’s curves or respond to sleepers who need to shift at night. But keep in mind, a mattress will feel firmer or softer to people depending on their body weight.
Delivery & Returns
The Awara mattress ships compressed in a box for free in the contiguous United States. It usually arrives within 2-5 business days via FedEx Ground. Awara will set up the new mattress and remove the old one for you for an additional fee. Keep in mind, the white glove delivery service may add several days to the delivery time.
At 129 pounds for the queen Awara mattress, it’s heavier than, say, a memory foam mattress. You’re going to want to phone a friend to set it up. Once out of the box, removed from the plastic cover and laid on a foundation, the unit expanded quickly and any lingering odor quickly went away.
The Awara hybrid adds a little something extra to the top mattress — a two-inch Euro-style pillow-top that sits on the core of the mattress, delivering a thick, 13-inch profile.
- The cover layer is made of organic cotton and natural wool, both are breathable and both of which wick moisture to keep the sleeper dry and cool.
- The top interior layer is 4 inches of organic Dunlop latex. It’s bouncy so it easily contours to your body. It curves to relieve pressure on the shoulders, hips and thighs.
- The bottom support layer is 9 inches of pocket coils that encourage airflow and are highly durable. The coils are aligned in five different zones. They’re also made of different gauges (thickness and strength). Together they work to adapt to the different weights and curves of each part of your body in turn.
Awara Mattress Highlights
Gentle to the Environment
- Global Organic Latex Standard-certified Dunlop Latex is naturally sourced
- Global Organic Textile Standard certified organic cotton in the quilted Euro-top cover
- GOTS-certified organic wool in the quilted Euro-top layer
- The latex layer is hypoallergenic for a cleaner sleep environment adds bounce for comfort
- Free of polyurethane foams or toxic fire retardants
- Organic cotton and wool cover is naturally breathable for cooling
- Coil layer adds durability and allows consistent airflow to keep you cool
Adapts to Different Body Shapes
- Fits nearly all sleeping styles thanks to 5 “zones” of coils that adapt to support the body parts depending on their weight and shape
- Organic latex for pressure relief and adaptability; latex is also very durable
- Thick, 13-inch profile with a Euro-top layer that gives the mattress a softer feel
- Relatively affordable for a green mattress
- Thick 13-inch profile w/plush pillow top
- Keeps spine aligned in different sleep positions
- Although the Awara is offered at a great price for a green mattress, it costs more than other types of mattresses, such as memory foam.
- Heavy to move (129 pounds for a queen)
|Twin||$699||39 x 75 x 13 inches - 79 lbs|
|Twin XL||$799||39 x 80 x 13 inches - 85 lbs|
|Double||$899||54 x 75 x 13 inches - 109 lbs|
|Queen||$999||60 x 80 x 13 inches - 129 lbs|
|King||$1,199||76 x 80 x 13 inches - 160 lbs|
|Cal King||$1,199||72 x 84 x 13 inches - 162 lbs|
Latex mattresses and hybrid mattresses in general cost more than other types, but the Awara latex-coil hybrid plays against this stereotype. It uses great materials so you should go somewhere else if you just want a cheap mattress. In this case, we love how the Awara mattress is both budget friendly and very eco-friendly.
Awara tried to use sustainable, natural and organic materials throughout the mattress in order to appeal to consumers who want to reduce their carbon footprint and use renewable materials. Instead of memory foam, the mattress uses natural latex to relieve pressure and a coil layer that allows the mattress to breathe and stay durable at the same time.
The targeted support offered by the Awara makes it a great choice for heavier back and stomach sleepers. The cooling features within the latex and coil layers also make it a great choice for anyone that feels too hot while they sleep.
All in all the price is attractive for a bed that won’t hurt the planet. If you care about both, this may be the mattress for you.